Tuesday 24 March 2009

Wuthering Hike Vasque(2) Short 14th March

It had been an 'ouch' week c/o piriformis syndrome and resulting sciatica, but to do the Vasque series I had to attempt this race. It's one I love and have completed at least 5 or 6 times, so there was no stress of route finding as the course is unmarked and by no means obvious! We set off into a biting and strong headwind which persisted for over 10 miles. I was extremely uncomfortable and somewhat low in spirits but these were picked up enormously thanks to Adrian Davis, Allan Smith and Mark Hartell. Mark was almost going 'backwards' when I passed him, but we ran together till Mankinholes where he sped off up Stoodley Pike. I was pretty much on my own for the rest of the race. The uphills were a pain free pleasure but the downs were a rigid and unpleasant experience. The cobbled road descent to the finish was exactly what I didn't need as I tightened up and got bad cramp metres before the finish, but was really pleased to have held 2nd woman, about 7 minutes behind Sarah Rowell. Haworth is a great centre with numerous good pubs which we sampled once we had stabalised our tent which was on the verge of taking off in the gale force wind! Highly recommended 32 mile race over Moorland/ reservoir country/farmland/ villages etc. Reccying or running with someone in the know fairly essential!!

No comments:

Post a Comment