Monday 30 March 2009

Edale Skyeline. Sunday 29th March.










Having not been able to run all week thanks to shooting pains through my hip and down my leg, it was with some anxiousness that we approached Edale. The weather was perfect for the race, offering bright sunshine, cloudless skies and not a breath of wind, yet the fields not yet graced by the sun remained under a hard frost. I then knew that it was not an option to miss out on this Classic and, even better, it began uphill which is the least painful angle for my current aches, so I could kid myself all was well!

Climbing Ringing Roger, for once, having (forcibly) rested for over a week running-wise, I was pleased to feel not too bad, and was even more surprised to be told I was 2nd lady. The run over to Win Hill was far more pleasant that it had been when, Craig, Duncan and I reccied it mid January when we battled icy strong winds.

Climbing up Lose Hill felt good and I paused, as I did throughout the race, to snap lots of pictures. The stunning views were too good to miss. However, suddenly everything changed on the descent towards Mam Tor. I was accidentally nudged by another runner which caused me to slip and twist the painful muscles in my hip. I yelped, landed flat on my side and rolled over twice before picking myself up, rather cross. and very jaded. I’d knocked the wind out of myself and felt utterly shattered and quite sick. Things didn’t improve, sadly, for the rest of the race and it was only the reassuring company of other runners and the unbeatable views that kept me going. I wondered whether hitting the wall on the bike last Saturday had anything to do with the similar way I now felt. Negotiating the rocky and peaty paths in the last 5 miles was tough, as I was forced to land at angles which caused considerable discomfort. My hip was screaming by this stage and the end simply couldn’t come soon enough. Rachael Lawrence came tearing past me, looking inpirationally strong, and there was nothing I could do but shuffle, but I was pleased to keep my 3rd spot till then end, thankfully.

So, the third long race in March was completed- 21 miles and 4,500ft of ascent.. and hec could I feel it, but I couldn’t have passed on such a beautiful route in the sunshine. I’ll just have to hope that the sore bits will calm down before London- or rather hope that I’ll for once have the sense to let them! ….Back in Northampton we eased the aches with a few easy lengths in the outdoor pool, followed by a much needed hot tub session and a large beer.

1 comment: